County Lines Crack Down, Decarbonisation Project Update, Police Wanted Appeal & More

Share
County Lines Crack Down,  Decarbonisation Project Update, Police Wanted Appeal & More

Happy Tuesday everyone and a massive welcome to all our new subscribers. I really hope you enjoy the daily read as subscribers now receive 7 - YES SEVEN FREE newsletters every week.

Its time to grab a brew, dig out the Rich Tea, put the phone on silent and kick back for 10.

Todays thought for the day ... “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” – Albert Einstein

Enjoy the read, please email us if you have a story for us and have a great day wherever you are in Bassetlaw.

Justin Doddy, Editor

P.S. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter if you haven't already and remember to send us your pictures from around Bassetlaw, we may feature it on our newsletter.


Police Appeal After Suspect Identified in Newark Shoplifting Investigation

Nottinghamshire Police have launched a wanted appeal after identifying a suspect in a series of shop thefts that have affected six stores across Newark.

Officers believe Ray Canham, 52, of no fixed address, is linked to 12 shoplifting incidents reported between 23 February and 23 June. Items stolen included chocolates, laundry products, meat, butter and cheese.

Police say Canham is also wanted on recall to prison and are appealing for the public's help to locate him.

Sergeant Kate Taylor, of Nottinghamshire Police, said:

"Our team has been investigating each of these shop thefts since they happened and have managed to identify Ray Canham as a suspect.
"We're therefore trying to find him, so that we can ask him a few questions.
"The public can help us on that front by sharing any piece of information they have about his whereabouts.
"We'd also urge Mr Canham to make himself known to us, should he see this appeal, so that we can speak to him and potentially rule him out of our ongoing inquiries."

📞 Anyone with information is asked to contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Record Crackdown on County Lines Brings Safer Streets for Bassetlaw and the UK

There is positive news for Bassetlaw and communities across the UK after the Government announced record-breaking success in its fight against county lines drug gangs, with thousands of criminals arrested, dangerous weapons seized and vulnerable young people protected.

According to the Home Office, last year was the most successful on record for its County Lines Programme. Police and partner agencies closed 2,833 county drug lines, arrested 7,381 suspects, charged more than 2,000 gang leaders, and seized over 1,400 knives from Britain's streets.

Alongside the enforcement action, 4,750 vulnerable children and adults at risk of exploitation were referred for safeguarding support, while independent research found the programme has helped reduce hospital admissions for knife assaults by 25% in key areas – preventing an estimated 840 knife stabbings every year.

Crime and Policing Minister Sarah Jones MP said:

"We are shutting down more county lines, bringing more gang leaders to justice and taking more deadly weapons off our streets than ever before."

She added:

"Our message to these criminals is clear: we will come after you, dismantle your networks and protect the children and young people you seek to exploit."

And reaffirmed the Government's commitment by saying:

"This government will not let up in its mission to halve knife crime within a decade, break the grip of county lines gangs and make our communities safer."

The Government says the crackdown is not only targeting organised crime but also protecting vulnerable young people from exploitation through specialist support delivered by organisations including Catch22 and SafeCall.

The latest figures also form part of the wider national strategy to halve knife crime over the next decade, with increased police patrols, CCTV, live facial recognition and knife detection arches being rolled out in hotspot areas.

Credit: Home Office and Sarah Jones MP for the content. Image credit: Getty Images.


Major Decarbonisation Project Getting Underway

Preparation work for Bassetlaw District Council’s biggest decarbonisation project ever undertaken gets underway this month.

Two of the council’s biggest carbon emitters, Worksop and Retford Leisure Centres, are being made more energy efficient by replacing the end-of-life gas heating systems for the building and pool with modern heat pumps. This is alongside other smaller improvements such as installing solar panels, heat recovery ventilation, a draught lobby, and improved LED lighting.

The work is being part funded using £2.18 million of the Government’s Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme, which is contributing to the UK’s ambition to be net zero by 2050, with additional investment from Bassetlaw District Council.

Contractors Miller Freeman will be on site at Retford Leisure Centre from Monday 13th July to begin work which, when completed, will enhance the sustainability of the building.

Cllr Darrell Pulk, Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods, said:

“These upgrades will future proof these important community facilities for our residents, cut running costs, and improve energy efficiency.
“As we look to make where we live and work the greenest and most sustainable this work is vital and would be one of the council’s crowning indelible green marks on the district.”

During preparatory work, parking could be affected on site, but plans are in place to reduce any additional pressure on car parking spaces.

The main works will see Retford Leisure Centre closed for four weeks from Monday 10th August. It will also make sure the centre is ready for the start of the new school term in September and the colder winter months.

Michael Hirst, BPL’s CEO said:

"We welcome this significant investment by Bassetlaw District Council in enhancing the sustainability of its leisure centres. 
“While these essential improvements may lead to some temporary disruption, our on-site teams are working diligently to minimise any inconvenience for customers." 

Similar work will take place at Worksop Leisure Centre later this year, and once this is completed, it will mean fossil fuel consumption at properties owned by the council will have reduced by 62% since 2021. That’s despite adding more assets such as the Bridge Skills Hub during that time.

The Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme funding has previously been used to support work at 17b in Retford in 2025, Queens Buildings in 2023 and Kilton Forest Golf Course Clubhouse in 2021.


Our three interesting facts for today ....

Donald Trump's golf bag contains high-powered rifles, as well as clubs
Eating a bag of crisps a day for a year is equivalent to drinking 5 litres of cooking oil
The average plastic bag gets used for 12 minutes but takes up to 1000 years to biodegrade.

Support Grows for Free All-Day Bus Travel for Nottinghamshire Pass Holders

By: Lauren Monaghan, LDRS

One Nottinghamshire resident ‘goes without food’ when she has to pay for bus travel to early medical appointments.

This resident’s experience was shared by Labour councillor Helen Faccio to Nottinghamshire County Council members in a meeting on Thursday (July 9) amid calls for free all-day bus travel for concessionary pass holders.

Conservatives on the authority proposed a motion for the meeting, asking the Reform-led authority to write to the East Midlands Combined County Authority (EMCCA) Mayor, Claire Ward, requesting for the removal of the 9.30am weekday restriction for concessionary bus travel.

Currently, those with a concessionary bus pass have free off-peak travel on local buses between 9.30am to 11pm and all day on weekends and bank holidays.

For elderly and disabled pass holders under the County Council, their pass also allows them free weekday travel after 9.30am on NET trams and all day on weekends.

Cllr Andy Brown (Con), proposing the motion to remove the weekday time restriction, told the meeting: “People are eligible for concessionary travel, yet they are unable to use their pass when they need it most.

“Many residents rely on public transport to attend medical appointments, volunteer within their communities, support family members, access local services and maintain their independence.”

Cllr Brown said the restrictions “simply does not make sense”, adding medical appointments and volunteering are not “luxury” journeys and said the move would reduce social isolation, help vulnerable people live independently for longer and reduce congestion on the roads.

The authority’s leader, Mick Barton (Ref), instantly expressed his support for free all-day travel for these pass holders, but proposed a slight amendment to the motion, saying he and deputy leader, Dawn Justice, would write to the mayor to “explore the option” for removing the time restriction as part of “wider discussion” with all aspects of discretionary travel in the region.

He said “it’s a quicker way of getting it done as I’m on the [EMCCA] board and I’m also chair of the [EMCCA] transport committee” and noted Cllr Justice also sits on the board.

Adding to the discussion, Cllr Helen Faccio (Lab), shared the story of one resident who wrote to her about her issues with her concessionary pass.

She told members:

“She’s got several health conditions and she has bus pass for medical reasons.
“[She] told me she’d greatly benefit from free travel before 9.30am because she often has hospital appointments early in the morning and she said she sometimes has to go without food that day if she has had to pay for her bus fare to get to hospital – this cannot be right in this day and age.”

Cllr Teresa Cullen (Brox Alliance), who represents Beeston Central and Rylands, said those who live in the Rylands part of the ward do not have a doctors’ surgery immediately nearby, where they have to travel towards the town centre. “

She said she believes it is one day possible for an option of free bus travel for “all residents”, adding: “I think we should go further.”

Councillor Sam Smith, leader of the Conservative opposition on the authority, said the funding that would help a scheme like this has come from the £2 billion allocated to EMCCA by the former Conservative government.

He said:

“I sit on the audit committee at EMCCA and there’s millions and millions and millions of pounds in reserve because she’s [East Midlands Mayor Claire Ward] doing absolutely nothing – now we can actually do something.”

Cllr Penny Gowland (Lab) supported the motion but said there was “no magic money tree” with such schemes and it needs to be balanced with the needs of the community, particularly young people.

She said:

“We’re talking about fairness, respect and people living full and active lives, we need to make sure young people can get to jobs, employment, training because we know young people also need to move around before 9.30am and they also often do not have cars.”

She added bus routes largely used by those with concessionary passes are “under threat” because they are not seen as commercially viable as they do not collect fares on these routes.

When speaking about the upcoming motion, concessionary pass holder and campaigner Des Conway previously told the Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS):

“It’s really important. A lot of people with mobility problems more often than not use medical facilities and will have appointments before half nine.
“It’s not just medical appointments… it’s all about leisure and enjoyment, it’s getting out and about.”

He said the move was a good opportunity “to put pressure on” Andy Burnham, the newly elected Labour MP for Makerfield and the former Greater Manchester mayor, if he was to become the next Prime Minister, to roll out this type of free-travel across England.

EMCCA was contacted for comment but did not provide a response at the time of publication.The motion was accepted unanimously by all parties on the council.


Good News for Pet Owners Across Bassetlaw as Government Announces Biggest Vet Reforms in 60 Years

Millions of pet owners across Bassetlaw are set to benefit from the biggest overhaul of the veterinary sector in more than half a century, with the Government unveiling plans designed to make vet care fairer, more transparent and more affordable.

Under proposals announced by the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra), vet practices will be required to publish price lists for common treatments, helping owners compare costs before making decisions. A new £21 cap on written prescription fees is also planned, alongside proposals for an independent veterinary ombudsman to help resolve complaints quickly and fairly.

The reforms also include a new licensing system for veterinary businesses, greater transparency over who owns practices, and stronger protections for pet owners, while supporting vets and veterinary nurses with a modern regulatory framework.

Secretary of State for Defra, Emma Reynolds MP, said:

"Pets are part of the family, but for too many households the cost of caring for them has become a real worry. These reforms will help owners avoid unexpected bills, compare prices more easily and get the best value care for their pets."

She added:

"We're modernising a system that hasn't been updated for sixty years, putting pet owners first while giving vets the modern framework they need to support the future of the profession."

The Government says the reforms respond to concerns over rising costs and a lack of pricing transparency, while ensuring pet owners can make informed choices and access high-quality care with greater confidence.

The proposals also aim to strengthen the role of veterinary nurses, improve standards across the sector and help practices continue delivering excellent care for animals across the UK.

Credit: Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) and The Rt Hon Emma Reynolds MP for the content and information.


Thanks so much for reading our local newsletter and for supporting us. We’re committed to providing Bassetlaw with the quality local news service it deserves, but sustaining this work may come with some challenges. Our team is currently discussing how to make Bassetlaw Today financially viable in the long term, and one option we’re considering is introducing a subscription model to help cover our costs.

We want to be open with you about these conversations so you’re aware that a fee may need to be introduced in the future. If that happens, we hope you’ll continue to stand with us and support the publication.

Have a great day and I look forward to seeing you read our next newsletter.

Justin Doddy, Editor

P.S. Your feedback about this newsletter is important to me. You can email me your feedback to news@bassettlawtoday.co.uk