Social Housing Mould, Domestic Abuse Funding, Sea Cadets & More

Share
Social Housing Mould, Domestic Abuse Funding, Sea Cadets & More

Good morning readers and a happy Thursday to you all - its time for some quiet 'you' time - grab a drink and a digestive and enjoy today's newsletter.

I hope you're enjoying your daily newsletters and if you haven't subscribed yet .... why not?

Todays thought for the day ... “Optimism is the one quality more associated with success and happiness than any other.”- Brian Tracy

Enjoy the read and have a great day wherever you are in Bassetlaw.

Justin Doddy, Editor

P.S. Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter here if you haven't already and please forward our newsletter to anyone that you think would like a good read.


Sea Cadets March Forward with Councillor Grant

Pictured: Lt (SCC) Sam Bloomfield RNR, Commanding Officer of Worksop Sea Cadets; Cllr Alan Rhodes, Ward Member for Worksop North East; Cllr John Shephard, Ward Member for Worksop South East; Leader of Bassetlaw District Council, Cllr Julie Leigh; Cllr Paddy Ducey, Ward Member for Worksop South; Chair of Bassetlaw District Council, Cllr Sybil Fielding, Ward Member for Worksop North West; and members of Worksop Sea Cadets.

Young people at Worksop Sea Cadets are preparing to strike up a new tradition in the town thanks to a £1,300 Councillor Community Grant.

The funding has helped the unit's newly formed Corps of Drums purchase essential uniform items, training equipment and additional instruments, enabling the group to become fully operational ahead of a busy summer programme of parades, community events and Armed Forces Day celebrations.

Established earlier this year, the Corps of Drums has quickly become an important part of the Sea Cadet unit, providing young people with opportunities to develop musical ability, teamwork and confidence while representing their community.

One of the key motivations behind creating the Corps was the absence of a marching band at Worksop's Remembrance Sunday parade in recent years. The long-term ambition is for the cadets to help restore the traditional atmosphere and musical accompaniment at remembrance services and civic events across the town.

Lt (SCC) Sam Bloomfield RNR, Commanding Officer of Worksop Sea Cadet Unit, said:

"We are grateful to the councillors for their continued support. This funding directly enhances our ability to equip cadets correctly, improve training resources, and further develop our Corps of Drums.
"Since forming in February, the band has rapidly established itself as a core part of the unit, helping cadets develop discipline, teamwork and confidence. The support received reinforces that their hard work is recognised and valued by the local community.
"We look forward to demonstrating this progress at future community events."

The unit currently welcomes around 50 cadets from Worksop and the surrounding area. Through a structured programme of activities, Sea Cadets helps young people develop teamwork, leadership and self-discipline while taking part in everything from adventure training and community projects to practical life skills and maritime activities.

The grant was made possible through contributions from Bassetlaw District Councillors, reflecting a shared commitment to supporting opportunities for young people and investing in community organisations that make a positive difference.

Chair of Bassetlaw District Council and Armed Forces Champion, Cllr Sybil Fielding, speaking on behalf of the councillors who contributed, said:

"One of the most rewarding parts of our role as councillors is being able to support organisations that make such a positive difference in our communities. Worksop Sea Cadets are a fantastic example of that, providing young people with opportunities to build confidence, learn new skills and feel part of something bigger.
"This support reflects our shared commitment to investing in local groups that bring people together and create a strong sense of pride in the area. We're especially pleased to see the continued growth of the unit and the enthusiasm of its cadets.
"On behalf of all the councillors who contributed, we're proud to play a small part in helping the Sea Cadets continue to thrive in Worksop."

The councillors who contributed towards the grant are: Cllr Sybil Fielding, Cllr Lynn Dixon and Cllr David Pressley, Ward Members for Worksop North West; Cllr Julie Leigh and Cllr Tony Eaton, Ward Members for Worksop South; Cllr Cliff Entwistle, Ward Member for Worksop East; Cllr Alan Rhodes, Ward Member for Worksop North East; and Cllr John Shephard, Ward Member for Worksop South East.

Worksop Sea Cadets celebrated its 80th anniversary last year and remains the oldest and only Sea Cadet unit in Bassetlaw. To find out more or get involved, visit: www.sea-cadets.org/worksop

Each Bassetlaw District Councillor is allocated a small annual budget and has the discretion to award grants to support community activities within their ward. Councillor grants may support projects relating to sport, culture and heritage, environmental sustainability, social welfare and wider community benefit.


Groundwork Five Counties Tackles Damp and Mould in Social Housing Across the East Midlands

Residents across the East Midlands, including those in Bassetlaw, are receiving vital support from Groundwork Five Counties as the charity works alongside local authorities and social housing providers to tackle the growing issue of damp, mould and housing disrepair.

According to the charity’s latest annual report, its Damp & Disrepair team visited 427 households during the 2025/26 financial year and identified 2,001 rooms with visible damp, mould or other disrepair issues that did not meet acceptable standards.

The work has become even more significant following the introduction of Awaab’s Law in October 2025. The legislation requires social housing landlords to respond to reported health hazards within 24 hours. The law was introduced in memory of two-year-old Awaab Ishak, who tragically died in 2020 after prolonged exposure to black mould in his home.

Explaining the charity’s approach, Darryl Plummer, Programmes Director at Groundwork Five Counties, said:

“During our home visits we check every room for visible damp and mould, and we take wall meter readings to identify invisible hazards. Every instance of damp, mould, or disrepair is reported and passed to the landlord to be resolved rapidly.”

The findings highlight just how widespread the problem remains, particularly for vulnerable residents, including older people, those with existing health conditions, disabilities and other at-risk groups.

Darryl added:

“Damp and mould can happen through poor insulation, defective brickwork or guttering, plumbing leaks, or other problems with the property. When we identify these problems, we notify the landlord to ensure the issues get resolved at the root, so damp and mould don’t keep coming back.
“We also provide the residents with advice on how to prevent damp and mould by following guidance around adequate heating, ventilation, and moisture control. Helping people to understand how damp and mould is formed and what they can do to combat it, often makes all the difference.”

Saving Money and Reducing Carbon Emissions

Beyond tackling housing hazards, Groundwork Five Counties also helps residents improve energy efficiency and reduce household costs. Through advice and support provided to the 427 households visited, residents achieved combined savings of £103,837, while reducing carbon emissions by 190,955 kilograms of CO₂ — the equivalent of driving 565,514 miles.

The charity’s work continues to support healthier homes and stronger communities throughout the East Midlands, including Bassetlaw, by ensuring housing issues are identified early and addressed before they become serious health risks.

For more information about Groundwork Five Counties and its services, visit Groundwork Five Counties Green Doctor Service.


Extreme Wheels Roadshows Return to Worksop This Summer

Looking for free, fun-filled activities for young people over the summer holidays? The Extreme Wheels Roadshows are back at The Canch, Worksop, bringing exciting action-packed sessions throughout August

📍 The Canch, Worksop
📅 Thursdays: 30 July, 13 August, 20 August & 27 August 2026
1pm – 3pm
Free drop-in sessions – just turn up!

Each session will feature one of a range of exciting activities, including:

🛹 Skatepark
🎯 Laser Tag
⚽ Body Zorbing
🚴 Drift Trikes
🏎️ KMX Karts
🚲 BMX Sidehacks

ℹ️ Important Information ✔️ Minimum age for Extreme Wheels activities is 9 years old
✔️ Helmets must be worn at all times
✔️ Suitable footwear is required (no open-toed shoes or Crocs)

A fantastic opportunity for local young people to get active, try something new and enjoy a fun summer with friends. ☀️💙

Credit: Bassetlaw District Council, in partnership with Extreme Wheels Roadshows.


Our three interesting facts for today ....

Chestnut was Clyde Barrow of Bonnie and Clyde's middle name.
No one knows why the Finns call their country Suomi.
Only female bees can sting.

Asda job cuts branded 'shambolic' as hundreds of security roles at risk

GMB Trade Union - Asda job cuts branded 'shambolic' as hundreds of security roles at risk

More than 300 security officers employed by Mitie and working at Asda stores are at risk of redundancy in a process described as ‘shambolic’ by GMB Union.

GMB has written to Mitie’s CEO, demanding the immediate suspension of the redundancy process.

The union has raised concerns about a lack of a comprehensive risk assessment of the impact of losing security staff, which could impact customer and worker safety amid high levels of shoplifting offences.

GMB also argues that the consultation process, which concludes on 24 July, is too short to allow meaningful engagement and that security officers have been given incorrect information about the process.

Speaking to Insider Media a Mitie spokesperson said:

"We have more roles available than colleagues affected by the consultation and are currently recruiting for over 600 security roles on the Asda contract with SIA Accredited relief guards and preferred supplier agency guards being used to ensure stores are covered.”
"The consultation looks at proposed changes to certain security roles relating to working patterns, including aligning shifts to store risk profiles, and in some cases time and store locations. This is designed to strengthen store protection for customers and colleagues and ensure security resources are where they are needed most. Wherever possible, affected colleagues will be redeployed in suitable alternative roles either on the Asda contract or in other vacancies within Mitie."

Keith Dixon, GMB Regional Organiser, said:

“Hundreds of security colleagues are facing the prospect of losing their job or seeing their hours cut, and they are deeply worried about what the future holds.
“Members are telling us this process feels like a done deal, not a meaningful consultation, and they have been hung out to dry by their new employer, Mitie.
“They do a vital and difficult job protecting stores and customers, yet Mitie has not considered the impact that reducing security provision will have on people’s safety."

Mitie won a new security contract with Asda earlier this year to provide protection across more than 1,100 stores nationwide.

Mitie now provides about 1,960 to stores under the Asda contract and emphasised that the overall number would not be reduced following the consultation.

Content courtesy of GMB and Insider Media


PCC launches £300,000 fund for domestic and sexual abuse support services

Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner Gary Godden is inviting organisations to bid for funding to deliver support services for people affected by domestic or sexual abuse.

A funding pot of almost £300,000 opens for applications this Wednesday (15 July), with bidders having the chance to claim up to a maximum of £75,000 each to run services for 18 months starting this October.

Priority will be given to bids which demonstrate how they will cater for victims who are not currently well served and have specialist needs due to some of the "hidden harms" associated with domestic and sexual abuse.

The scheme is also aimed at organisations that are led by, and designed for, specific communities, to ensure the service has a deeper understanding of the victims' needs, through lived experience or cultural competency.

"Domestic and sexual abuse can leave victims feeling isolated and alone, especially in some of our more marginalised communities where the more mainstream support services may not suit their needs," said PCC Godden.
"As part of my Police and Crime Plan I have pledged to create a safer Nottinghamshire for all, and to do this we must serve and support everyone across our diverse communities and ensure no one is left behind.
"This new funding opportunity gives a chance for service providers to set out how they can help me ensure we can meet the needs of some of the most vulnerable people in our community.
"Sexual and domestic abuse are among the most heinous crimes in our society, so it is vital that everyone who is affected by it can access support at what is likely to be one of the most difficult times in their lives."

The funding is available after the Office for the Police and Crime Commissioner secured almost £300,000 of funding from the Ministry of Justice.

Prospective bidders have until midnight on Sunday 9 August to submit their application for funding, with final funding decisions set to be made by the PCC in mid-September.

Bidders will have to demonstrate a track record of service delivery in the sector.

Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner Angela Kandola, who leads on the prevention of Violence Against Women and Girls and behalf of the PCC, said:

"This is a unique chance for service providers to receive some much-needed funding to provide some incredibly valuable support to local victims of domestic and sexual abuse.
"There are already a number of fantastic services operating in the Nottinghamshire area and this funding will help enhance that offer further.
"It will help us to address some of the hidden harm in our society – which is harm or abuse that is usually hidden from public view - occurring behind closed doors and often not recognised or reported
"I would urge service providers to look at the detail on our website from Wednesday 15 July and apply before the window of opportunity closes."

For all the information you need, including how to apply for funding, CLICK HERE

If you are affected by domestic or sexual abuse, please report it in on 999 in an emergency, or on 101, or by going to your local police station.


Thanks so much for reading our local newsletter and for supporting us. We’re committed to providing Bassetlaw with the quality local news service it deserves, but sustaining this work may come with some challenges. Our team is currently discussing how to make Bassetlaw Today financially viable in the long term, and one option we’re considering is introducing a subscription model to help cover our costs.

We want to be open with you about these conversations so you’re aware that a fee may need to be introduced in the future. If that happens, we hope you’ll continue to stand with us and support the publication.

Have a great day and I look forward to seeing you read our next newsletter.

Justin Doddy, Editor

Bassetlaw Today
Thoughts, stories and ideas.

P.S. Your feedback about this newsletter is important to me. You can email me your feedback to news@bassettlawtoday.co.uk